| || | submitted by Nestledrink to nvidia
This thread is best viewed on new Reddit due to inline images.
Addendum: September 16, 2020 RTX 3080 Review Megathread GA102 Ampere Architecture Whitepaper
Addendum: September 11, 2020 Embargo and RTX 3070 Update Thread
Hey everyone - two updates for you today.
First, GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition reviews (and all related technologies and games) will be on September 16th at 6 a.m. Pacific Time.
Get ready for benchmarks!
Second, we’re excited to announce that the GeForce RTX 3070 will be available on October 15th at 6 a.m. Pacific Time.
There is no Founders Edition Pre-Order
Image Link - GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Powered by the Ampere architecture, GeForce RTX 30-Series is finally upon us. The goal of this megathread is to provide everyone with the best information possible and consolidate any questions, feedback, and discussion to make it easier for NVIDIA’s community team to review them and bring them to appropriate people at NVIDIA.
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30-Series Community Q&A
We are hosting a community Q&A today where you can post your questions to a panel of 8 NVIDIA product managers. Click here to go to the Q&A thread for more details . Q&A IS OVER! Here's the link to all the answers from our Community Q&A!
GeForce RTX 30-Series GPU information:
| ||RTX 3090 ||RTX 3080 ||RTX 3070 |
|GPU ||Samsung 8N NVIDIA Custom Process GA102 ||Samsung 8N NVIDIA Custom Process GA102 ||Samsung 8N NVIDIA Custom Process GA104 |
|Transistor ||28 billion ||28 billion ||17.4 billion |
|Die Size ||628.4 mm2 ||628.4 mm2 ||392.5 mm2 |
|Transistor Density ||44.56 MT / mm2 ||44.56 MT / mm2 ||44.33 MT / mm2 |
|GPC ||7 ||6 ||6 |
|TPC ||41 ||34 ||23 |
|SMs ||82 ||68 ||46 |
|TMUs ||328 ||272 ||184 |
|ROPs ||112 ||96 ||64 |
|Boost Clock ||1.7 Ghz ||1.71 Ghz ||1.73 Ghz |
|CUDA Cores ||10496 CUDA Cores ||8704 CUDA Cores ||5888 CUDA Cores |
|Shader FLOPS ||35.6 Shader TFLOPS ||29.8 Shader TFLOPS ||20.3 Shader TFLOPS |
|RT Cores ||82 2nd Gen RT Cores ||68 2nd Gen RT Cores ||46 2nd Gen RT Cores |
|RT FLOPS ||69 RT TFLOPS ||58 RT TFLOPS ||40 RT TFLOPS |
|Tensor Cores ||328 3rd Gen Tensor Cores ||272 3rd Gen Tensor Cores ||184 3rd Gen Tensor Cores |
|Tensor FLOPS ||285 Tensor TFLOPS ||238 Tensor TFLOPS ||163 Tensor TFLOPS |
|Memory Interface ||384-bit ||320-bit ||256-bit |
|Memory Speed ||19.5 Gbps ||19 Gbps ||14 Gbps |
|Memory Bandwidth ||936 GB/s ||760 GB/s ||448 GB/s |
|VRAM Size ||24GB GDDR6X ||10GB GDDR6X ||8GB GDDR6 |
|L2 Cache ||6144 KB ||5120 KB ||4096 KB |
|Max TGP ||350W ||320W ||220W |
|PSU Requirement ||750W ||750W ||650W |
|Price ||$1499 MSRP ||$699 MSRP ||$499 MSRP |
|Release Date ||September 24th ||September 17th ||October 15th |
- RTX 3070
- Same performance as RTX 2080 Ti
- RTX 3080
- Up to 2x performance vs previous generation (RT Scenario)
- New dual axial flow through thermal design, the GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition is up to 3x quieter and keeps the GPU up to 20 degrees Celsius cooler than the RTX 2080.
- RTX 3090
- Most powerful GPU in the world
- New dual axial flow through thermal design, the GeForce RTX 3090 is up to 10 times quieter and keeps the GPU up to 30 degrees Celsius cooler than the TITAN RTX design.
|SKU ||Power Supply Requirements |
|GeForce RTX 3090 Founders Edition ||750W Required |
|GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition ||750W Required |
|GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition ||650W Required |
- A lower power rating PSU may work depending on system configuration. Please check with PSU vendor.
- RTX 3090 and 3080 Founders Edition requires a new type of 12-pin connector (adapter included).
- DO NOT attempt to use a single cable to plug in the PSU to the RTX 30-Series. Need to use two separate modular cables and the adapter shipped with Founders Edition cards.
- For power connector adapters, NVIDIA recommends you use the 12-pin dongle that already comes with the RTX 30-Series Founders Edition GPU. However, there will also be excellent modular power cables that connect directly to the system power supply available from other vendors, including Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic, and CableMod. Please contact them for pricing and additional product details
- See Diagram below
Image Link - GeForce RTX 3090 and 3080 Founders Edition Power and Case Requiremen
Other Features and Technologies:
- NVIDIA Reflex
- NVIDIA Reflex is a new suite of technologies that optimize and measure system latency in competitive games.
- It includes:
- NVIDIA Reflex Low-Latency Mode, a new technology to reduce game and rendering latency by up to 50 percent. Reflex is being integrated in top competitive games including Apex Legends, Fortnite, Valorant, Call of Duty: Warzone, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, Destiny 2, and more.
- NVIDIA Reflex Latency Analyzer, which detects clicks coming from the mouse and then measures the time it takes for the resulting pixels (for example, a gun muzzle flash) to change on screen. Reflex Latency Analyzer is integrated in new 360Hz NVIDIA G-SYNC Esports displays and supported by top esports peripherals from ASUS, Logitech, and Razer, and SteelSeries.
- Measuring system latency has previously been extremely difficult to do, requiring over $7,000 in specialized high-speed cameras and equipment.
- NVIDIA Broadcast
- New AI-powered Broadcast app
- Three key features:
- Noise Removal: remove background noise from your microphone feed – be it a dog barking or the doorbell ringing. The AI network can even be used on incoming audio feeds to mute that one keyboard-mashing friend who won’t turn on push-to-talk.
- Virtual Background: remove the background of your webcam feed and replace it with game footage, a replacement image, or even a subtle blur.
- Auto Frame: zooms in on you and uses AI to track your head movements, keeping you at the center of the action even as you shift from side to side. It’s like having your own cameraperson.
- RTX I/O
- A suite of technologies that enable rapid GPU-based loading and game asset decompression, accelerating I/O performance by up to 100x compared to hard drives and traditional storage APIs
- When used with Microsoft’s new DirectStorage for Windows API, RTX IO offloads up to dozens of CPU cores’ worth of work to your RTX GPU, improving frame rates, enabling near-instantaneous game loading, and opening the door to a new era of large, incredibly detailed open world games.
- NVIDIA Machinima
- Easy to use cloud-based app provides tools to enable gamers’ creativity, for a new generation of high-quality machinima.
- Users can take assets from supported games, and use their web camera and AI to create characters, add high-fidelity physics and face and voice animation, and publish film-quality cinematics using the rendering power of their RTX 30 Series GPU
- G-Sync Monitors
- Announcing G-Sync 360 Hz Monitors
- RTX Games
- Cyberpunk 2077
- New 4K Ultra Trailer with RTX
- Now adding Ray Tracing, DLSS, and Reflex
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
- Now adding Ray Tracing, DLSS, and Reflex
- Minecraft RTX
- New Ray Traced World and Beta Update
- Watch Dogs: Legion
- Now adding DLSS in addition to previously announced Ray Tracing
Links and References
Basic Community FAQ When is Preorder
There is no preorder. What are the power requirements for RTX 30 Series Cards?
RTX 3090 = 750W Required
RTX 3080 = 750W Required
RTX 3070 = 650W Required
Lower power rating might work depending on your system config. Please check with your PSU vendor. Will we get the 12-pin adapter in the box?
Yes. Adapters will come with Founders Edition GPUs. Please consult the following chart for details. Image Link - GeForce RTX 3090 and 3080 Founders Edition Power and Case Requiremen Do the new RTX 30 Series require PCIE Gen 4? Do they support PCIE Gen 3? Will there be major performance impact for gaming?
RTX 30 Series support PCIE Gen 4 and backwards compatible with PCIE Gen 3. System performance is impacted by many factors and the impact varies between applications. The impact is typically less than a few percent going from a x16 PCIE 4.0 to x16 PCIE 3.0. CPU selection often has a larger impact on performance. Does the RTX 30 Series support SLI?
Only RTX 3090 support SLI configuration Will I need PCIE Gen 4 for RTX IO?
Per Tony Tamasi from NVIDIA: There is no SSD speed requirement for RTX IO, but obviously, faster SSD’s such as the latest generation of Gen4 NVMe SSD’s will produce better results, meaning faster load times, and the ability for games to stream more data into the world dynamically. Some games may have minimum requirements for SSD performance in the future, but those would be determined by the game developers. RTX IO will accelerate SSD performance regardless of how fast it is, by reducing the CPU load required for I/O, and by enabling GPU-based decompression, allowing game assets to be stored in a compressed format and offloading potentially dozens of CPU cores from doing that work. Compression ratios are typically 2:1, so that would effectively amplify the read performance of any SSD by 2x. Will I get a bottleneck from xxx CPU?
If you have any modern multi-core CPU from the last several years, chances are you won't be bottlenecked but it depends on the game and resolution. The higher resolution you play, the less bottleneck you'll experience. Compatibility - NVIDIA Reflex, RTX IO, NVIDIA Broadcast NVIDIA Reflex
- GeForce GTX 900 Series and higher are supported RTX IO
- Turing and Ampere GPUs NVIDIA Broadcast
- Turing (20-Series) and Ampere GPUs Will there be 3090 Ti/Super, 3080 Ti/Super, 3070 Ti/Super
Literally nobody knows. Where will I be able to purchase the card on release date?
The same place where you usually buy your computer parts. Founders Edition will also be available at NVIDIA Online Store and Best Buy if you're in the US. When can I purchase the card?
6am PST on release day per NV_Tim How much are the cards?
3070 - $499 MSRP
3080 - $699 MSRP
3090 - $1499 MSRP
No Founders Edition Premium When will the reviews come out?
September 14th per Hardware Canucks