Thoughts and Bare-Bones Primer on Opus 2 Simplified Sealed
This format was recently unveiled as one of the limited formats for FFTCG, and is arguably the most affordable and simple option for most stores, especially given how a lot of players are not from a TCG background and therefore will take more readily to sealed than draft. For the uninitiated, the rules are:
- 6 boosters and 45 minutes building time
- 40 card deck
- 6 damage loses the game
- Backups can be cast with any colour of CP
- Forwards and abilities require their normal CP
Before I offer thoughts on the format itself, a quick guide to mono-Opus 2 Sealed.
- As with all Sealed formats, your best cards are important and you should stretch your deck to play them, but your common and uncommon (Rare) quality is super relevant as well. Drawing 2 cards a turn makes your bombs (best cards) much better than they would be in, say, MtG.
- 8k and 9k attackers are supremely relevant. Numbers matter a lot.
- Every single Hero and Legend with 7000 or more in the bottom right is playable. The ones with 8000 and 9000 are usually stone cold bombs and you should play them if at all possible.
- Earth has the most 8k+ cards at Rare or below - Vanille, Vincent, Yang, Dark Knight, manikin Gabranth. The earth Moogle and manikin Kefka are also excellent if you can support them at all, and the 1 cost Hashmal summon is a solid combat trick since the games are often about trading 8ks.
- Let me reiterate, manikin Kefka (Phantasmal Harlequin) is insane if you can support it.
- Fire has a 4-cost Tellah backup that nukes something for 9k. It is very strong but you need to stabilize the field after. It also has Ifrit as a 6k burn, Ward as an effective 8k attacker, and an 8k Rare in Bergen. Zell is good in some matches and awful in others. Bonus, Tifa is basically unbeatable without Tellah.
- Ice has Capricious Reaper and it is insane. If you open it and manikin Kefka then you play them, period. There are a few good rares - Mateus and Nero, for example - but the only really good commons are the manikins.
- Lightning has one of the best manikins (Lightning) and good removal in Dark Knight and the purple Moogle. Cyclops ranges from irrelevant to amazing. Kiros and Drace are both excellent if you have the supporting character. If you open Exdeath then for god's sake play him and win the prerelease.
- Wind has a 9k common and it is premium. It's a bit lackluster otherwise and your H/L suite has to be good if you want to play it.
- Water has the Ultimecia manikin and it's great. Ghis is the best freeplay 3> because he's 8k himself and ignores Ifrit/Tellah. Larsa is excellent on defence if you are playing water backups and he's obviously good as a Minwu effect, but he himself isn't anything too special. You can block with him then pump himself if need be. CuChulainn is really good. Lenne is good as a 3 cost 7k, don't discount her just because you didn't pull Yuna.
- Warrior of Light is 8k and therefore decent. Emperor is the best Light/Dark card. Zemus looks broken and might be broken in constructed, but in reality he's not that great in Sealed.
- Palom Porom combo is gg if you somehow get it. Most legends and every hero at 8k or above is extremely strong for the body alone and you should go to pains to make them work.
- In terms of synergy decks, Manikins are the best by far, even without Exdeath. All you need is some Kefka manikins and some number of the ones that aren't Zidane, and you're set.
- The Earth and Lightning Moogles are really strong. Montblanc (Fire) is not as strong as he looks but is still fine. The Wind one is arguably the best if you have a decent board already.
Your experience may vary.
Now, as for the actual format, there are some glaring issues that need to be addressed if it is ever to be competitive. Firstly, yes, it is sealed, and therefore anyone who opens the double Tifa legend pool is just going to have a stupidly large advantage. Welcome to cardgames. However, that does not mean sealed is unviable. There are a few issues with Simplified Sealed that normal Sealed and/or draft may fix.
The first issue with Simplified Sealed is addressed both with the backup clause and with the regular Sealed format. You just don't have enough cards to build towards a real theme. I opened some Manikins, some Moogles, a couple of two cards synergies, then I put them in a deck with all my cards that had either 6k+ power or relevant text. So did everyone else. We all played 4-5 colour goodstuffs, which isn't desirable. It's just not interesting and you aren't really incentivised to play otherwise bad cards.
The second issue is linked to that archetypal problem. The gameplay was ok but half the time someone was colour screwed. It's really nice that cards like Ghis attempt to fix this, but those cards also advance your board a lot. That's the other issue. The other half of the time somebody snowballed unreasonably. It turns out party attacks aren't a solution to a board that is both big and wide. You can't afford to play backups when you only have 6 damage to give, and if the answers you topdeck aren't good enough, you lose while the opponent piles on the advantage with 5 cards in hand at all times.
A third issue is that the limited format themes aren't strong enough. The Moogles aren't competitively viable outside of the Wind one because they're all named characters and all in different colours. They should be stronger than they are. You could have Montblanc deal 2000 + 1k per Moogle and it would still be fine. Hurdy could let you pick a number up to and including how many Moogles you have. They still wouldn't be broken, and they would be much better in Limited. As it is, I packed all of them into my deck because they are Backups that cost 2.
Lastly, Special abilities. These are, in my opinion, an enormous part of FFTCG. They are almost entirely absent from Limited. Why isn't there a common Ashe? Why is Edea's backup Hero? Special abilities are meant to be splashy and broken, and they need to be enabled better.
I don't know how you can fix the glaringly obvious problem of power matters, though. Every game I saw, the person with the unanswered 8ks and 9ks won. The people who went T1 Fleeting Flash + Phantasmal Harlequin got insurmountable advantage. Vanille cascading into Vincent was insanity. I guess that's just TCGs for you.
I strongly recommend stores do regular Sealed. It might be more expensive but I am sure the gameplay will be more diverse. Alternatively, if you can teach people to draft, do that. I do not like Simplified Sealed at all when you only get 72 cards and will never be able to play fewer than 3 colors, and probably 5 on average.
submitted by asianaussie
This is a longshot but - Selling an alienware laptop, anyone interested?
! Im currently trying to sell a brand new alienware laptop, it was taken out of the box, and had one game installed and played for maybe 30 minutes but other than that it is completely unused and brand new. Here is everything that comes with the laptop:
1 Alienware M14X - Nebula Red with Soft Touch Finish Intel® Wireless-N WiFi Link 1000 a/g/n 1x2 1 Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz (3.1GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache) 1 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz 1 Alienware M14X 150W A/C Adapter 1 14.0 High Def+ (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight 1 3.0GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus technology 1 750GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 1 AlienFX Color, Quasar Blue 1 Alienware Command Center Software, M14X 1 DataSafe Local BackUp 1 PC Restore 1 Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Service Pack 1, English, w/Media 1 Hinge Up WLAN - RED 1 Adobe Acrobat Reader 1 Roxio Creator 2011, Upsell 1 Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner, DVD+-RW, CD-RW 1 Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled 1 Intel Wireless-N WiFi Link 1000 a/g/n 1x2 1 Alienware M14X WIDI Software 1 NO VIRUS PROTECTION REQUESTED 1 Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Student, English 1 Dell Hardware Warranty Plus On-Site Service, Extended Year(s) 1 Dell Hardware Warranty Plus On-Site Service, Initial Year 1 Third Party At Home Service, 24x7 Technical Support, 3 Year Extended 1 Third Party At Home Service, 24x7 Technical Support, Initial Year 1 4 Year Limited Warranty 1 Accidental Damage Service, 4 Years 1 Soft Contracts Consumer Accidental Damage Agreement for Alienware 1 Soft Contracts Dell In-Home Hardware Agreement for Alienware 1 Warranty Support, 3 Year Extended 1 Warranty Support, Initial Year 1 Software, DataSafe Online 2.0 2GB 1 DataSafe Online 2.0 2GB 1 Your Tech Team Unlimited POS SKU - 4 YR valid contract 1 No Wireless HD Selected Intel® Wireless-N WiFi Link 1000 a/g/n 1x2 1 Internal Bluetooth 3.0 1 Alien Red Glyphs 1 Alien Red Glyphs 1 Basic Stage 1 SyncUP for Windows, powered by Nero, LAT ST 1 Steam and Portal Factory Installed 1 EVE-Online, English, German, Russian 1 Standard Nameplate, M14X
As you can see, it comes with quite a lot of things. Most importantly, the 4 year warranty, that protects the laptop for almost all damage, apart from smashing it intentionally with a hammer. Even then, you may be able to plead temporary insanity. I dont have pictures of it currently, but I will upload some in a bit if people seem interested. It is red, and the keyboard is backlit in three different sections which you can change to whatever color in the rainbow you could imagine, including a fade option and a flash option etc etc. Addtionally, you can change the color lighting on pretty much any part of the laptop that emits light. Those are all just neat accessories to the gaming laptop itself.
Now in terms of price, I am willing to negotiate a bit, but currently, the asking price is 1900$. Now while this may seem high, it is brand new and unused, comes with the 4 year warranty, and that is an 800$ markdown from the price it was purchased for. All in all, I think it is a fair deal, but once again, I can negotiate a little bit. Please upvote this post so people can see it, as it is a self post and I receive no karma. If this post is in the improper subreddit mods, id appreciate being pointed in the right direction. I figured id give my fellow buffalonians the opportunity to purchase this fine machine, for a great price! Thanks for reading!
submitted by Grooth